Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Golden Sun

on Tumblr
on Tumblr
It's been a long time since our Golden Sun days. After watching my sister play the whole thing, I only managed the first game myself and didn't continue because I passed too many points of no return and didn't collect all the djinn, which is not okay for me. I remember playing it in China, agonising over equipment and djinn combinations and getting stuck and having to skip places because I didn't have instant access to walkthroughs. And hours on a sleeper train, reloading and reloading to get these certain boots from a gambling fountain!

But I loved the puzzles and the battles and the character designs. Golden Sun is one of the few games in which female characters actually get to wear clothes. Last month I caught artist Bente's livestream and I mentioned that my sister spoke to Bente a couple of times back in the Golden Sun days, and Bente remembers this. Small world. So I drew some Golden Sun-style designs for Rise of the Guardians characters. I think Golden Sun's clothing designs are characterised by simple chunkiness, bright colours and patterns of geometric shapes. Jack would be a Mercury adept and Tooth would be Jupiter, I think. These were really fun to design.

1 comment:

  1. Ah man these two look so good! I've never heard of Golden Sun, although by the sounds of it I've played many a game like it - confound those puzzles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...