Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Art du Noir: Yumi G.

If you've ever looked round Lookbook for lolita, you'll probably have come across Yumi of Art du Noir - her interpretation of classic gothic lolita is just perfect, and I always admire the elegance and refinement of her style. I took one look at her collection of outfits and I fell in love. Will you, too?

Art du Noir
1. Bonjour, Yumi! What are three things we should know about you?

Hello! How to start? I'm a little French girl who loves fashion, art and literature. I'm only wear black clothes but I'm not a sad person.


2. Tell us about your love affair with the colour black.

I don't know why but I'm really addicted to black. That's obvious in my wardrobe because 90% of my clothes are black but I also try to decorate my new flat with pretty black furniture. People often ask me if I like colour - yes, of course, but always with black! Everything look more elegant or rock with black.

Black works particularly well with lolita, I think, because it makes an otherwise loud and eye-catching style slightly more reserved - at least in colour!

'Stairs' on LB

3. What first attracted you to lolita, and how has it influenced who you are?

I discover lolita fashion when I was about fifteen in Ai Yazawa's manga and then on internet. First of all I was fascinated by the Japanese lolitas' freedom, elegance and originality. I wanted to know everything about this fashion and lifestyle. During a few years I thought Lolita wasn't for me because I didn't feel confident enough - I was more attracted to punk fashion which is easier to wear in Europe. But I discover a few European lolitas and little by little I tried the clothes. I really felt close to the gothic lolita universe, between a strange doll and a dark modern princess... This fashion is not only pretty, but it means a lot of ideas to me. In fact, when I started to wear lolita clothes I just felt myself, and that's the most important I think. Now I consider myself gothic lolita since four or five years ago; it's my passion, my every-day motivation and my actual way of life.

With Wolfling Sandnas, who made these dresses

4. What do you think of the local and worldwide lolita community?

I met most of my best friends in the French lolita community. At the begining it was very important for me to talk with other girls because I wanted to share my passion and improve my co-ordinations; it was the "golden age" as my friends sometimes said. Now the French lolita community seems dead, and I'm often tired of stupid little wars. Nevertheless I always want to meet new lolitas, from other countries too. This fashion has changed a lot but I want believe the passion can be the same than ten years ago.

'Lace and Dots' on LB

5. Which of your looks is your personal favourite at the moment?

It's really hard to answer this, because since few months ago I've tried to wear new styles. For example I love wearing more long skirts for a "madam" style but I didn't take photos. Anyway, my favourite look is probably when I simply wear my dear dress from the Moi-même-Moitié. It's a chiffon polka-dot dress; the silhouette is perfect and the lace is gorgeous... I got it in 2009 and I'm still in love with it! The elegant gothic lolita (EGL) style is certainly my favourite one but not the only one. Gothic lolita is full of sub-styles!


6. Where do you like to shop, in the physical world and online?

I used to buy online because it's easier to find what I like in my size and at good prices. Most of my clothes come from Japan, for example from the brand h.Naoto and Moi-même-Moitié which are my favourite ones. I also love to make great finds, branded or otherwise, on eBay, yaboo and mbok auctions.

'Winter Vampire' on LB

7. Who are your style icons?

I have many inspirations but no icons I think, despite the fact I like Mana, Kaya, Arika and Aoki Misako for example. I don't want to copy those artists because I'm more interested by street fashion. My best friends and many girls I follow on internet inspire me to make new original outfits. Not only lolitas, but I also like other Japanese gothic styles, like dolly kei or rock gyaru.

The most inspiring people for fashion are often our own peers, real people who wear these clothes on a day-to-day basis. You never know who's eye you'll catch, and who has been influenced by what you are wearing one day in the street. And influence is power, isn't it?


8. What do you think of the street fashion where you live?

The street fashion in France is quite poor but I hope one day people will dare to wear what they really like and express who they are by fashion.

Black Theory on LB
Thank you so much for this interview, Yumi - you are the elegant gothic lolita in my eyes, so if I ever end up caving and buying a lolita dress, know that you are to blame!

3 comments:

  1. I love Yumi! It's the first lolita I met in internet. She has always been there for me when I started in lolita. Even though I carry little Gothic Lolita, I admire and inspires me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gothic lolita was the first genre of lolita I noticed and while my tastes have changed since then I still absolutely adore Yumi's style.

      Delete
  2. Wow ,interesting Post! Love her Style <3
    follow new ,mind follow back?

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...