Thursday, 25 April 2013

Porcelain print

By Guo Pei
Nothing rivals the delicate intricacy of blue and white porcelain. There is evidence of the blue and white patterns in China as early as the ninth century though the true porcelain was only fully developed in the 1300s. Since then, it has become iconic.

Blue and white porcelain in Chinese is 青花, which I read literally means 'blue flowers'. I always thought 青 was green, but I asked my mum and it turns out that 青 can be different colours depending on context.

As well as flowers, common motifs include clouds, grapes, lotus flowers and cranes. Influence from Islam means some wares have painted on them Persian or Arabic characters. Usually the pigment is cobalt(II) oxide, which is potentionally poisonous in large amounts.

By John Galliano
Not many of us wear ballgowns on a daily basis, but there are some stunning dresses to be found in high street shops. I genuinely doubt anyone could guess the prices of them by these pictures alone, but it just goes to show that for prints at least, there are things to buy in every price range.

L-R:
Zara £40
Primark £20
Oasis £70
Matalan £16

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lovely, aren't they? I like the shape of the 2nd one best but the print on the 3rd is most interesting.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's pretty awesome! I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a lovely trend and you gave the perfect amount of background. I like the Primark piece a lot. Glad I found this blog, now following~

    Ally @ http://thefittedframe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I try my best to be informative, and this trend is very appropriate for me to talk about, as I'm Chinese.

      Delete
  4. These are great! We hadn't seen them before!

    http://www.attireclub.wordpress.com

    Fraquoh and Franchomme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, neither have I IRL xD

      Delete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...