Sunday, 27 January 2013

The Clothes Horse: Rebecca

You know when you find someone whose demurely creative outfit photos you could look at forever? For me, Rebecca from USA is definitely one of them. Her blog, The Clothes Horse, is constantly updating with fashion, art and photography, which are consistent in their ability to always inspire. As well as amazing photos, which as you'll read she takes herself, she also makes collages which you can find at Dead Paper.

The Clothes Horse

1. Hello, Rebecca! What are three things we should know about you?

Hmmm, that I'm an introvert, I'm from all over - having never lived anywhere for more than three years, so I lack a sense of roots - and sometimes I think I like books more than people...


2. How has your style developed into what it is now?

It's mostly been a slow evolution - I started to become very thoughtful about my clothes when I started my blog in 2007. Suddenly with nearly daily documentation of my outfits I started to really get a picture (pardon the pun) of what I felt best and liked the way I looked in. I've liked clothes since I was little; my mother used to make me dresses from fabric I'd choose and taught me to sew when I young so I could even attempt my own skirts and purses and things. I junior high I started to follow Harajuku street fashion, but I never read an American fashion magazine until I was a senior in high school (Elle Girl was excellent) and from there things kept snowballing. I feel like in college I started to put all these influences together - not necessarily mimicking every style I admired on others but figuring out intentional dressing, instead of just putting clothes on to avoid being naked.

'Fixed to a Star' on The Clothes Horse

3. Which of your looks is your personal favourite at the moment?

Probably this outfit. I love that space dress and my wellies make me feel invincible.


4. You've lived in many different places, but what's your favourite thing about the place where you live right now?

I've got a couple of really good friends in this area (I live with a couple too!) and really the people you surround yourself with is what makes any place special, despite my hermit tendencies.

Perhaps, rather than physical location, you seek familiarity in the people around you, a social environment rather than a geological one.

'Count Your Sheep' on The Clothes Horse

5. Where do you like to shop?

Online mostly! It's just so convenient to not have to drive somewhere or deal with crowded stores, etc. If I do shop in person I like thrift stores and vintage shops; places where it's just about wandering around and admiring all the curiosities as much as it is about purchasing things.


6. Who are your fashion icons?

I don't really have fashion icons, because it feels limiting to look towards a person. When I do admire people it tends to be fictional characters instead of real people - so Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde or Audrey Hepburn in How To Steal A Million (that is my dream wardrobe!)

I also tend to admire characters - their presence, personality and style - as an overall entity. It's often that I'm infatuated with some character from a film or TV series, but am absolutely uninterested in the actor.

'Mon Petit Chou' on The Clothes Horse

7. What's the most unglamorous thing about being a professional blogger?

Everything about being a professional blogger seems pretty unglamorous from my perspective! Honestly taking pictures with a self-timer in dead of winter is about as unglamorous as it gets - you're freezing cold, running back in forth between a tripod and some random (hopefully isolated) spot in nature. You look quite ridiculous if a hiker stumbles across you.

As a user of the self-timer myself, I can empathise - the photo-taking process is immensely tedious. Though your photography is consistently stunning, always bringing out the best out of an already fantastic outfit; and your variety of backdrops is interesting too.

'Beyond Basics' on The Clothes Horse

8. What inspires your intriguing collages on Dead Paper?

It was a project my friend Jon encouraged. I showed him a lot of vintage magazines I was collecting and collages I admired and he told me to make my own. He really liked my first ones and said we should start a blog together to motivate each other to keep being creative - it worked really well in the beginning! I made a collage every day for months, but we've both sort of dropped the ball recently. It's really hard to do a lot of creative work every day, to find that inspiration, you know?

Regardless, those months of collage-making were productive - I love your use of perspective, size, and unexpected juxtapositions.

Collage on Dead Paper

9. What do you see yourself doing, and where, in seven years' time?


I really don't know where I'll be next year let alone in seven years. It's something I'm trying to do though, to just relax and let things happen as they will. I'd love to be doing creative work and travelling; it'd be nice to just live out of a suitcase and maybe write about travelling or styles around the world.

Thanks so much for your time, Rebecca - it's been a pleasure getting to know you. I wish all the best for your future, whatever it may hold, and I'm sure your blog will continue to inspire me and others.

'As a tower firmly set' on The Clothes Horse

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting interview and lovely photos to go along with it!

    http://www.themirroronthewall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her photos are great, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. really love all her photos and i am obsessed with audrey's givenchy wardrobe in how to steal a million also--and her cute little car!

    xo
    fizz

    freshfizzle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her style is seriously so darn cute and amazing
    http://spliffedcookies.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her sheep cardigan is my absolute favourite.

      Delete
  4. she has a very unique style and look, a bit 60s/70s but never over-the-top. lovely :)
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really inspiring and cute. I LOVE her haircut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got that elven face you need to pull off short hair, I think.

      Delete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...