Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Baroque

As a violinist, say 'baroque' and I think of Bach, Handel, contrapuntal and polyphonic melodies, harpsicords, contrasting dynamics, ornamental trills and turns, no vibrato. Baroque architecture and fashion, on the other hand, I know next to nothing about.

Originating in Italy, the Baroque aesthetic is all about rich exuberance, elaborate detail, light and shadow, intensity and drama. The word 'baroque' used to be derogatory, but it's long since shaken off the meaning of excess and redundancy.

From History of Fashion
From History of Fashion
From VagaBond NYC
I'm not a follower of high fashion and catwalks and things, but Dolce & Gabbana's (I had trouble spelling that) Baroque collection is really quite impressive.


Predictably, this has translated onto the streets of normal(?) people in that black and gold jacquard print, most of the time. I am usually not too partial to the combination of black and gold - it's a rich combination, too easily crossing the line into brash vulgarity, in my opinion - but I am fully aware that it can look exquisite, as these Lookbookers can prove.


Black and gold are easiest to wear with more black and white, but why not be adventurous and throw in another rich colour, like teal or red? I've not seen so much baroque on the streets where I live - hardly surprising, really - but here are some of my favourite finds on the internet.

Skirt: River Island
Dress: Miss Selfridge

Blazer: Singh Madan, via Polyvore

Dress: Pixie Market, via Fashion Inspo

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for lovely comment on my blog! Did you want to follow each other?

    For your post, I really love the baroque post! Yeah I haven't seen this look either until now!

    xoxo Akinyi

    http://fitsonme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. omgoodness, d&g's collection truly is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Baroque trend at the moment! I almost bought myself the River Island skirt, but then Christmas rolled around the corner and no I have no money! :( I sincerely hope it sticks around!
    Mia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's a shame - I'm hoping it will stay a while too, because I'm not sick of it yet!

      Delete
  4. aww this is so pretty, it's a trend I haven't seen much in stores though :( but love your source of inspo!

    http://wishuponasmile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this trend and you chose wondeful outfits and items!!!

    kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by :)
    I love the D&G collection! I've just recently bought a Baroque dress in the River Island sale, down from £60 to £20! Bargain :)

    Much Love x

    cllrs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, third of RRP, that's a pretty hefty reduction - lucky you! I hope you enjoy wearing it :3

      Delete
  7. Baroque is so entchanting! I also love the architecture of this epoque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, I'd love to visit some baroque buildings.

      Delete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...