Monday, 29 October 2012

Nutcracker

I have had the most phenomenal week. It's been hectic, stressful and absolutely exhausting, but for a course with what is probably going to be one of the highest-level orchestras I will ever be a part of, playing the entirety of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, I would do anything.


Every day, I have been glowing with fulfillment. I feel like this orchestra and this week has been the reason I play violin at all - blood, sweat and tears, for this. I've never liked solos, and I've outgrown the local music ensembles which have been deteriorating for years anyway.

It's not over yet - I've a week early next year with the delightful(??) Mahler symphony no. 5, who I hear will rip both my arms off and hit me over the head with them. And, tune? What tune? It will probably kill me.

I am somewhere in this picture.
Nevertheless, there is a side effect of being surrounded by extremely talented musicians - that familiar feeling of inadequacy. I genuinely have no idea how I will get into the orchestra next year, since one audition only gets you a spot for a year. How I got in this year is beyond me also, but I'm just so grateful I got a chance, so I'll make the most of it and relish every moment.


A recording of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...