Friday, 17 August 2012

China haul

The next best thing after seeing relatives in China is the awesome though elusive gear to be found - a lot of the following were bought in my last couple of days there. The indoor market is much more interesting than the shiny department stores - in reward for braving the masses of people, the pickpockets and the bartering, I ended up buying quite a lot of little thingies from the market.

Pocky: supermarket
Olympics badge: gift
Angry Birds badges: anime merchandise shop
Jewellery: indoor market
Phonecharms: indoor market
A few items will be going to friends as holiday presents, but I'm greedy so most of it will be staying with me. The Pocky's for sharing with mates, though.

The earrings I think will make very nice collar tips, but I don't know where the wire cutters are, as I need to snip off the pins on the backs of the earrings. More on those some other day when I locate them. And I wonder if sandpaper works on metal?

Angry Birds is all the rage in China - everyone and their cousin has an Angry Bird on their t-shirt or shoe or bag. Apparently it's the same in Finland, where Angry Birds is the national treasure. Cel jokes(?) their whole economy is dependent on the game.

I also bought a bucketload of really awesome tights, but I haven't got round to photographing them yet. They'll probably get their own little post to themselves.


I absolutely adore this fish bracelet. Chinese people like fish, 鱼, because its homophone is 余, which means abundance. I'm not so sure about peanuts or apples though... The little turtle on the ring has moving head, limbs and tail.

Totoro: anime merchandise shop
State Alchemist pocket watch: anime merchandise shop (a different one!)
I am so, so happy with the anime merchandise I found! Though Japan's just across a little water, anime and manga are still extremely obscure in China. Even in UK, since about a decade ago, the bookshops have cottoned on to manga, which would be great if I didn't already have twenty-two volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist in Chinese.

The Totoro, from Miyazaki's My Neighbour Totoro, unsurprisingly, is smashable and extremely spikey for the fur effect, so it had to be transported in a coat of bubble wrap to get here in one piece.  It's actually a money box but I won't be putting anything in it because the plastic plug on the bottom is wedged in very tightly, and I daren't manhandle such a fragile object.

The State Alchemist pocket watch was actually the display watch, but it's a different model to all the ones in the boxes, and looked slightly better quality. Consequently I bought it without any packaging, for very slightly cheaper than the boxed ones.


I've been wanting a high-collared blouse for some time, and now I've got two. The one on the right I bought first, and it's over three times more expensive than the one on the left, which I found in some sidestreet store. Oh well - when I get plenty of wear out of both of them maybe I'll stop feeling so bad.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog, would you like to follow each other? Please let me know x

    www.thesequincinderella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finding the time to leave a comment on my blog! :)

    I'm loving the Pocket watch. So beautiful!

    Great blog: I'm your new follower <3

    STAY AWESOME
    Lots of love, Pauline
    www.xpeachie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend buys Pocky from the Chinese supermarket in town because its so awesome! Love all the stuff you got, Love your blog, would you like to follow each other?
    sewthecity.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many flavours down there, and at reasonable prices too. In UK, a box of Mikado is like £1.50 x.x

      Delete
  4. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love the necklace and bracelet! And now Im craving for Pocky! Would love for us to follow each other! Let me know if you followed me already so I can follow you back as soon as possible!

    Let's keep in touch!
    -Eva
    www.creativecapricebyeva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for collecting such wonderful picx:) love your posts. would you like to follow each other?
    Logo Design

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH that Totoro is so adorable!! I have that movie on DVD, I love anything Ghibli :) And how good is Pocky! I've never seen the blueberry flavour, it looks so yummy :)

    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a whole bunch of Studio Ghibli films I got several years ago, they rock. My favourite's Princess Mononoke.

      Delete
  7. The blouse on the left looks awesome. And I <3 Totoro :)) Look like you've had a great time. And sandpaper is a bit to soft to work on metal - it could work to rough up a surface but if you want to smooth out the pin on the backside a rasp will do a much better job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your advice :D

      Delete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...