Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Silent Sweetheart: Kirsti Lee

With well over a hundred looks on Lookbook and a fluorishing blog, Silent Sweetheart, Kirsti Lee has an impressive resumé in the online fashion community. On seeing my advert looking for interviewees, she contacted me for a feature, and now I've finally got round to it, I'm really glad I picked her out.

Due to the quality of her DIYs, like the shorts and skirts she makes and wears, it's impossible to tell that she made them from scratch, as they look so professional. If you're interested in buying her creations, they're absolute bargains from her Etsy.

BlogBadge  

1. Hello, Kirsti! What are three things we should know about you?

Hello! I study Fashion Design at Winchester School of Art, I make clothes for myself and for friends and family and one day hope to own my own boutique, and I have worked in New Look for over four years as a part-time job.


2. How has your style developed into what it is now?

I think my style has come really far from what it used to be. When I first started lookbook.nu for instance, I used to wear things that I thought other people would like to get the hypes and fans and not actually wear what I wanted, but I soon realised that just being myself and wearing what I liked did me a lot more favours! I feel like my style has matured and I have finally found myself when it comes to fashion as I am a lot more comfortable and confident in knowing what I like and don’t like. I play around with patterns and colours, sometimes clashing them, and I try out new ways of wearing things like layering items - I guess I’m just having more fun with it and not thinking too much about whether other people will like what I’m wearing or not.

'Keep the past in the past' on LB

3. Which of your looks is your personal favourite at the moment?

Oh my goodness, that is a tough one! I do really love my grey maxi skirt at the moment with my crop t-shirts as it’s comfortable yet stylish paired with my peace necklace and lots of rings! It’s an easy outfit and looks effortless.

I absolutely agree about your skirt - its colour, texture and the way it falls really makes for a nonchalant, casual look.


4. Who are your fashion icons?

My fashion icons would have to be Jameela Jamil, Alexa Chung and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Each one of them always looks amazing but so effortless, I would love to be able to achieve that!

'This isn't everything you are' on LB

5. What do you think of the street fashion where you live?

Street fashion where I live is ok, but it could be a lot better! You get a lot of people all dressing the same to fit in and look ‘cool’ and it’s very rare that you come across someone who is wearing something because they want to or because they want to be different and stand out. I would love to see that more where I live, or even do that myself!

'Passion is your guide' on LB

6. Where do you like to shop?

Because I work in New Look it is very easy for me to shop there and pick out all the good things before they sell out! However I love to rummage in charity shops and dig out a one of piece that no one else will have. I hate buying something that everyone else has got! In saying that, I do browse around River Island, Topshop and Primark but never really buy anything from them. Another favourite of mine is Urban Outfitters.


7. Tell us about the shop you're hoping to start this summer.

Well, I have actually opened the shop on Etsy to see how it goes but I would love to have my own website for the things I make to make it more official, however with uni it is quite hard to do that right now. At the moment I am just selling skirts and collars but hopefully I will be adding shorts, dresses and playsuits soon!

Best of luck with your enterprise - the shorts you make and wear are really something, and I'd never have guessed that someone could sew them up from scratch.

'Need to escape life' on LB

8. What's your favourite DIY in your wardrobe?

May favourite DIY would have to be my green leather shorts. Whenever I wear them I always get compliments and people asking me where they are from! I love it when I am wearing something I have made and someone asks where I bought it from, it gives me a boost to know that what I make looks professional and sellable.

'I don't want to stay without you' on LB

9. What do you see yourself doing, and where, in seven years' time?

In seven years time I would love to have worked in London/Milan/Paris/NYC in the fashion industry to get all the experience possible and then hopefully be opening my own boutique selling the clothes that I have designed and made. That’s the dream!


Good luck with your ambitions in fashion, Kirsti, and thank you very much for such an interesting interview. It's been a privilege collaborating with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...