Sunday, 8 July 2012

Gwen Stacy

I'm not quite sure why someone thought Spiderman needed a hyphen, but I really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man in 3D yesterday with Ginge. The action was nail-biting and fast-paced, the characters on the whole were convincing and likeable, and there were some parts which made me laugh out loud, including a few that probably weren't supposed to be funny. Remember, kids - when you're in a school chemistry lab, any two brightly coloured liquids in pretty flasks, when mixed, will result in effervescence and rapid uncontrolled release of energy: a bomb.

Just to make this post appropriate for a fashiony sort of blog, I collected some images of Gwen Stacy, played by an Emma Stone, whose styling I thought was simple yet sophisticated. Throughout the film she's pretty much always in these lovely knee-high brown boots, a comforting consistency.



One of her outfits included thigh-high grey socks with the boots, which I thought was a really nice look, but I unfortunately didn't find any photos of it. The only problem with bare skin, socks then boots, is the seasonal ambiguity - one would usually only wear that kind of combination on a warm day due to the strip of exposed skin, but that results in really hot feet. Trust me, I know.




Gwen also sports a whole range of off-white coats. The three pictured above all seem to be slightly different, now that I look at them. I love how she employs neutral colours like grey and brown to create an elegant and understated look.



I'm not really a hat person, but this one looks rather nice, especially with the chunky cardigan and stripes. And check out that umbrella handle!


I didn't notice the ensemble above while watching the film, but I love the spotty dress and cardigan set off with a pop of colour in the hair ribbon.


Though it wasn't an important point of the film, it got me thinking, empathising. Imagine you've a fine son, with all the virtues of youth, beauty and intelligence - though not yet wisdom. On the brink of manhood, he's bursting with potential, and could be something great. Every night he's not only coming home at an ungodly hour, but he looks like he's been dragged face down behind a taxi through the roughest part of town, the part where you just don't go even in daylight, and he's not opening up about what's going on.

"Secrets have a cost. They're not free." God, I'd be sick with fear and worry and pain and anger. The life of a superhero is exciting, but not one that you'd want for a loved one.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! Gorgeous blog! Would love to follow each other?? <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post dear! Love it ^^ Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, mind to follow each other? :)

    Join Oasap super giveaway, win beautiful dress, open worldwide. Click here (•˘⌣˘•)
    Cheers,
    Karina Dinda R. ♥
    BLOG | TWITTER | SHOP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment on my blog! I want to see this movie . I just started following you ! Follow back if you would like :)
    http://southerngloss.blogspot.com

    -Kelsi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very glad I'm not a superhero. It must be a huge burden. I prefer trying to be a little kind of "hero" for the people who live around me, in being there when they need me and trying to make their lives better.
    I love Gwen's outfits. Simple, a touch of colour and sophisticated. Great post!

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolute admiration for those heroes and altruists and people who'd put themselves in danger for strangers, but I'm not one of those people - I'm selfish. Sherlock said heroes don't exist, but I don't agree with him either - they're just rare.
      Thanks for your awesome comments!

      Delete
  5. Nice post! If you have a minute, please check out my blog and follow me if you liked it. I'll appreciate it so much! Thanks!

    My $30 RIRE giveaway will end today! Be sure to join!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen the film yet - Gwen style is great!! I also really like Emma stone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go see it, it's good :D I noticed in an interview that IRL, Stone is really really frowny, like Hermione's actress xD

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the post on my blog :) Great post- her style makes me want to see the film! x

    http://lovethedolcevita.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I genuinely want to see it again, which sucks, but the film is great ^_^ Thanks for following too!

      Delete
  8. This movie was amazing, I posted about it actually in my "nerdy" blog www.fantasyisthebestreality.blogspot.com but I also have a fashion one. I totally agree with what you said about this movie though, I don't see how people didn't like it! I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEED Andrew Garfield. Like loved. I couldn't help but fangirl over him xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the cluuuub, this new Spidey is gorgeous, though I noticed I find him boring again when he's just Garfield the actor, in photos or something. I think I'm over him now - fangirl crushes are shortlived - but I still want to see this film again.

      Delete
    2. hahaha yeahh,I think I probably will only fangirl over him in Spiderman because he was just so adorable, I mean, that cute HUGE smile he gave Gwen and Aunt May...I literally melted xD but I dunno, when I found out he was a Brit...hsiofhz;aoelhzdoufsbfb;ziuydbv hahahaha I love British men.

      Delete
    3. Listening to an interview about Spidey cinched it. English accents are sooo much nicer than American, no offence to those guys across the pond.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your blog :) congrats!!!
    The boots!! I loved them! I wonder about where she find that??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...