Thursday, 3 May 2012

Sherlocked

While it was only a few months ago when the captivatingly charismatic and perplexingly perspicacious Sherlock once again graced BBC1 after an agonisingly long wait, I and surely countless others are experiencing that familiar desperation for the next series.


Last Easter, amongst revision for exams which are practically at my doorstep now, I rewatched series 2 with my best friend. That can only satiate me for so long, so I've salvaged, surprisingly easily, seven sterling style tips from our favourite reinvented super-sleuth.


1. Purple is a manly colour

The read-through?
Shirt: Dolce & Gabbana
Sherlock wears several shirts throughout the series, but it's no doubt that, with its slim fit and lilac pinstripes, this one is the shirt. Of course it's expensive, but what's a few hundred pounds to the world's only consulting detective??


2. When in shock, wrap up warm

Gloves: Paul Smith
"Objection!!"
Scarf: Paul Smith
Even in London's mild climate, leather gloves and a cashmere scarf are essential for a gentleman to winter in UK. Sherlock's gloves are £175. Shocked? That's okay - just drape on this heavy duty ambulance blanket.

"Oh, what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket."

Blanket: Zorbit


3. A little fancy-dress never hurt anyone


"The art of disguise is knowing how to hide in plain sight."

Why not cast off the chains of self and indulge in the character of another once in a while? Perhaps it will be useful, enlightening, or just a lot of fun.



4. Dressing gown is good, bed sheet is better


When chilling out, either at home getting high of nicotine patches or at Buckingham Palace having a cuppa with a mate, free yourself with something loose and comfortable. One of these days, I am going to follow suit and spend the whole day wrapped in nothing in a bed sheet, just to try it out. Freaked? That's fine. I know it's fine.

"Are you wearing any pants?"


5. Best friend is also best accessory


"I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend."

Best friends are invaluable, to confide in or watch films with or generally piss about with. In Sherlock's case, John is the perfect companion, a BAMF in a jumper with a gun, to accompany him in kicking some criminal arse. Though handcuffs are probably too far.

What on earth is the best friend doing here?


6. Take the precaution of a good coat

Coat: Belstaff
"You being all mysterious with your cheekbones. 
And turning your coat collar up so you look cool."
"I don't do that."
"Yeah, you do."

It would be absolutely impossible to write about fashion in Sherlock without talking about the sensational coat. I've always, always, always had a thing for long coats on both men and women. There's nothing like swishing round a turned-up collar and wicked red button holes solving puzzles all day. Want the coat? Everyone wants the coat. But not everyone has £1,350 to spare.

See the red buttonhole?
The red buttonhole is such a subtle little addition to the coat, but it, too, has become iconic. In fact, I will have to turn the buttonholes of my measles trenchcoat red myself.


7. Brainy is the new sexy

Apparently the term 'sapiosexual' refers to one who is attracted to intelligence. Adler said that brainy is the new sexy, but I disagree - brainy was always sexy.


7 comments:

  1. Such a amazing post! Haven't seen the series myself, but you've really made me curious. I love who you write about the fashion: pictures, a little discription, quotes from the series, naming of the items. Not to little, not too much. Simply perfect!
    And yes, please turn your coat button-hoses red!

    http://ahintofredness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this lovely comment! ♥ I highly, highly recommend Sherlock, it's absolute quality TV. Amazing acting, great stories, and some chewy concepts and ideas to think about.

      Delete
  2. great blog!
    thank u for your comment, do u want follow each other?


    www.celyneglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Sherlock is amazing.
    I seriously want that coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the club ;) My friend dreamt Sherlock let her wear it, I was so jealous!

      Delete
  4. Nice review of the series.

    Check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...