Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Gotta Lovett

Only when I  researched costume design for an art exam did I realise that the stunning outfit designs of characters in films like Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands and A Series of Unfortunate Events were of one American costume designer, Colleen Atwood.

Atwood's illustrations

I remember first watching Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd with my Wifey on DVD, who's a fan of Tim Burton, and since then it's become one of my favourite films. Stephen Sondheim's soundtrack is spine-tingling, the story is dark and harsh and tragic, and the costumes are quiet masterpieces. And then there's the sullen and angular Mrs. Lovett...



Mrs. Lovett is a grimy crow, subtle, moody, and gothic, and this is delightfully brought out by her beautifully detailed collection of dresses. Even as her financial situation improves, they remain low-key and controlled, but with a delightful touch of life in Burton's signature murky world. Atwood says,
"I thought she'd be attracted to a bit of obvious glitter. Underneath she had 
fantastic underwear you never see — great bloomers and corsets."

Don't you Lovett?

3 comments:

  1. You're so right! Have you seen "Dark Shadows" the latest movie with Johnny Depp? There are also amazing costumes in that one!

    Mary Jane
    ahintofredness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Dark Shadows; did Atwood do that one too? Thanks for telling me about it, maybe I'll have a look at it if just for the costumes xD

      Delete
  2. This blog is a good way to inspire others, keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...