Thursday, 19 April 2012

Patterns

Twice now I've driven past this boy in the morning with a bag patterned with black and white squares, repeating. Recently I used a QR code for my IT coursework, and the bag reminded me of it. And I think, wouldn't a QR code pattern be an interesting print for clothing?

The pattern on the bag, repeated all over
A QR code pattern for bags, tights or jumpers - I think it would look especially interesting in knitwear - would not only be a techy and modern statement print, but a handy barcode to navigate to some text or webpage too, if you're lucky (or rich) enough to possess a smartphone. I personally use my mobile once a week to arrange pick-up times from the charity shop I volunteer at. For most people, their mobile is an integral part of their social life, but I've never felt the need for it.
qrcode
UCDL's QR code
The black and white also reminds me of a tessellating pattern which is apparently called houndstooth.

Houndstooth

Another computer-related pattern I love is the minute grooves and lines and circles of a circuit board.


On Etsy are some rather awesome items inspired by the circuit board, the most famous of which is probably this tie. Created by American artist Michael Phipps, he used speciality metallic inks to do justice to what I think is a very successful, understated and aesthetically-pleasing design.

Circuit board tie: ScatterbrainTies, Etsy


Biology, too, hides countless patterns which are really quite stunning, and would look fabulous if incorporated into fashion. Science and style seem worlds apart, but rather than asking 'why?', ask, 'why not?'

Onion epidermis
The colour, translucency and irregularity of the onion epidermis above is magnificent. When I was about 12, we peeled off the thin skins from onions, dyed them, sandwiched them between glass slides and put them under a microscope. A few years ago, I saw a lady in McDonalds wear a headscarf bearing a pattern which my sister and I both agreed looked a lot like onion epidermis under magnification. (We geek out a lot like that.) That skin is one cell thin. One cell.

Neurones
Neurones
When browsing more pictures of cells, this neurones caught my eye. They look like intricate webs or splattered paint, thrown in the air and suspended like frozen in time. The dark background reminds me of the immensely popular galaxy print. If prints from astronomy can rise to the surface of fashion, why can't patterns from technology and biology emerge too?

5 comments:

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...