Sunday, 26 February 2012

Glasses

My eyesight has deteriorated considerably since last time I was checked 2 years ago, and only when I wear these new glasses I realise how blind I've become. I'll miss my old Harry Potter (brand, not style) glasses, as before I thought I could swap between all three glasses, but now I realise that the prescription difference is probably too great.

Red || Brown: Specsavers

 But not in a million years will I ever wear THESE.


A cause of considerable controversy, those large, thick-framed glasses have been a big trend these few years, and not only amongst the visually impaired. Most people have some kind of opinion on them. I once heard someone call them 'personality lenses' - bitch, please. Flowery phrases hide not the absurdity of its concept.

To be honest, I don't ever remember getting any grief for wearing glasses, though I started wearing them all the time at about 11. Perhaps the novelty of the bespectacled had worn off for potential bullies, but it does mean that I don't hate fake classes because I'm embittered.

This is a common comeback fired at ex-victims of bullying who argue against fake glasses, and because I've never experienced it myself, I cannot comment on the effects of spectacle-related ridicule on a person, and thus the validity of this argument; and I respectfully suggest that those similarly fortunate as myself do the same.

Even for one who does not partake in many sporting activities, glasses are a definite inconvenience. They slip down my nose, constantly accumulate grime, and threaten to bless my eyeballs with a million shards of metal and glass whenever I wish to head-desk, take a nap at a table, or whenever a ball comes flying at my unsuspecting face.

Indeed, fashion is often impractical, but to me, glasses are not an accessory. The reason I don't often wear jewellery is not only because it gets in the way, but also because I simply cannot be bothered to put it on, as the added aesthetics are often not worth the inconvenience. An accessory is, to me, something that makes an outfit look better, but is not essential to my walking out the door. Without my glasses, I will more likely be walking into said door.

It is true that some people indeed look better with glasses; nevertheless, those who honestly look better with those huge, distracting frames are few. There are many beautiful people who look fabulous in them, but at the end of the day, they are beautiful, and tend to remain so, whatever plastic abomination blights their sightly visages.

Separating the topic of big black plastic frames and fake glasses, I don't like big black glasses mostly because I think that they are fugly. If you're half blind and you choose to remedy this with such frames, that's your choice - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But whether they are priceless platinum-lined Ray-Bans or 3D glasses with their lenses popped out, I just disagree with the concept of glasses for those with perfect vision. It is faking a physical impairment. Is this supposed to be attractive?

I await the day which sees us all in braces, hearing aids and wheelchairs, all for the sake of fashion.

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I despise those glasses- as you read on my blog- and I hate the whole "we look cool because we look like nerds". Eeurgh, no.

    I was never bullied for my glasses either but I'm sure it must be deeply upsetting for those people who were to see the "cool kids" adopting the item as some sort of absurd fashion trend.

    I sometimes feel a bit of a hypocrit because I wear black frames almost every day, although I differentiate them as they are cat's eyes in style and I actually have the vision (or lack of) to justify them.

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aesthetic imitation of the nerd stereotype infuriates me immensely as well, because some of these people in fake glasses and 'I love nerds' t-shirts are the people jeering at me because I do my homework. Why try to look like a 'category' of people you treat like crap? Oh yeah, because it's fashionable. ¬.¬

      Glad you made it out of that essay alive and thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. @Cassaela That's the way of nature. Imitate and intimidate the ones you secretly envy. If that doesn't make sense to you now, it will sometime later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment; it's good food for thought. The 'nerds' tend to earn more money in the end, I hear(/hope?) x3

      Delete
    2. Money or not, knowing one's self-worth regardless of what people think or say is one of the magic tricks that lead to happiness. The "cool kids" only fool themselves. Another magic trick is to not judge, and let them be.

      It takes time to really learn this, but judging by the gears you have turning, you're well ahead.

      Delete
    3. I absolutely agree that appreciating oneself is immensely important to being content. Good thing I have a massive head!

      Maybe fooling oneself sometimes can be beneficial too? Knowledge is power; ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I choose ignorance, while I still can, being a green spring chicken. DON'T WANT TO GROW UP.

      Delete
    4. You're right. Being smart takes effort but first you have to believe it's possible, and if lense-less frames helps with that, then it's good. To be sexy you have to first feel sexy, and that's where clothes and make-up can help. Fooling yourself is good if it helps you believe you can become something you want to be.

      Fashion is not healthy when it is held up as a facade for others to like, implying that what's beneath is not worthy on its own. What matters is the story that is being told to the subconscious.

      Sometimes the entire point of ugly frames is to emphasize how impervious to judgement the wearer is.

      Delete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...